George Herbert, Priest, 1633

"Love bade me welcome," the poem by George Herbert, from Jessica Nelson.


Download this episode (mp3).

Love bade me welcome. Yet my soul drew back 
                              Guilty of dust and sin.
But quick-eyed Love, observing me grow slack 
                             From my first entrance in,
Drew nearer to me, sweetly questioning,
                             If I lacked any thing.
 
A guest, I answered, worthy to be here:
                             Love said, You shall be he.
I the unkind, ungrateful? Ah my dear,
                             I cannot look on thee.
Love took my hand, and smiling did reply,
                             Who made the eyes but I?
 
Truth Lord, but I have marred them: let my shame
                             Go where it doth deserve.
And know you not, says Love, who bore the blame?
                             My dear, then I will serve.
You must sit down, says Love, and taste my meat:
                             So I did sit and eat.

– George Herbert

Settings mentioned by Jessica in this episode:

The music in this episode is "King of glory, King of peace" by Harold Friedell, from a live recording by the Choir of St. Peter's Episcopal Church, St. Louis.

Songs in the Desert is an audio Lenten devotional exploring Christian hymns. Every weekday in Lent, listen to a reflection from a different contributor on a hymn that they find meaningful.

Hymn numbers refer to the Episcopal Hymnal 1982.

Subscribe to our podcast in Apple podcasts or use our feed.

For more, visit SongsInTheDesert.org.

Theme music is "Reflections" by Lee Rosevere, distributed under a Creative Commons license.

A Sinden Production of Anglican Media (SPAM)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog