Wednesday in the Fourth Week of Lent

"Lord, thee I love with all my heart" (Lutheran Book of Worship 325) from Jonathan Wessler.


Download this episode (mp3).

View the hymn "Lord, thee I love with all my heart" on the Hymnary.org website.

1 Lord, Thee I love with all my heart;
I pray Thee, ne'er from me depart,
With tender mercy cheer me.
Earth has no pleasure I would share,
Yea, heav'n itself were void and bare
If Thou, Lord, were not near me.
And should my heart for sorrow break,
My trust in Thee no one could shake.
Thou art the portion I have sought;
Thy precious blood my soul has bought.
Lord Jesus Christ, My God and Lord, my God and Lord,
Forsake me not! I trust Thy Word.

2 Yea, Lord, 'twas Thy rich bounty gave
My body, soul, and all I have
In this poor life of labor.
Lord, grant that I in ev'ry place
May glorify Thy lavish grace
And help and serve my neighbor.
Let no false doctrine me beguile;
And Satan not my soul defile.
Give strength and patience unto me
To bear my cross and follow Thee.
Lord Jesus Christ, My God and Lord, my God and Lord,
In death Thy comfort still afford.

3 Lord, let at last Thine angels come,
To Abram's bosom bear me home,
That I may die unfearing;
And in its narrow chamber keep
My body safe in peaceful sleep
Until Thy reappearing.
And then from death awaken me
That these mine eyes with joy may see,
O Son of God, Thy glorious face,
My Savior and my fount of grace,
Lord Jesus Christ, my prayer attend, my prayer attend,
And I will praise Thee without end.

-Translator: Catherine Winkworth; Author: Martin Schaling

Songs in the Desert is an audio Lenten devotional exploring Christian hymns. Every weekday in Lent, listen to a reflection from a different contributor on a hymn that they find meaningful.

Subscribe to our podcast in Apple podcasts or use our feed.

For more, visit SongsInTheDesert.org.

Theme music is "Reflections" by Lee Rosevere, distributed under a Creative Commons license.

A Sinden Production of Anglican Media (SPAM)

Comments

  1. I like the idea of this very much. It would be nice if a recording of the hymn (ie-youtube or soundcloud link) could be included with the reflection - at least one verse, so that it could be heard and experienced without the 'talk-over' reflection. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, bildad12. Today's hymn can be heard on the Hymnary.org website on the information page about the hymn (https://hymnary.org/text/lord_thee_i_love_with_all_my_heart). Just click "recording".

    ReplyDelete
  3. sure. I meant, it would be nice to have the hymn available for listening on the page - not requiring following links or searching for it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog