Friday in the Third Week of Lent

"A Lamb goes uncomplaining forth" (Hymn 438 in the Lutheran Service Book) from the Rev. Gary Schultz.


Download this episode (mp3).

A Lamb goes uncomplaining forth, The guilt of sinners bearing
And, laden with the sins of earth, None else the burden sharing;
Goes patient on, grows weak and faint, To slaughter led without complaint
That spotless life to offer,
He bears the stripes, the wounds, the lies,
The mockery, and yet replies, “All this I gladly suffer.”

This Lamb is Christ, the soul’s great friend, The Lamb of God, our Savior,
Whom God the Father chose to send To gain for us His favor.
“Go forth, My Son,” the Father said, “And free My children from their dread
Of guilt and condemnation.
The wrath and stripes are hard to bear, But by Your passion men will share
The fruit of Your salvation.”

“Yes, Father, yes, most willingly, I’ll bear what You command Me
My will conforms to Your decree, I’ll do what You have asked Me.”
O wondrous Love, what have You done! The Father offers up His Son,
Desiring our salvation.
O Love, how strong You are to save! You lay the One into the grave 
Who built the earth’s foundation.

Lord, when Your glory I shall see And taste Your kingdom’s pleasure,
Your blood my royal robe shall be, My joy beyond all measure!
When I appear before Your throne, Your righteousness shall be my crown;
With these I need not hide me.
And there, in garments richly wrought, As Your own bride shall we be brought
To stand in joy beside You.

–Paul Gerhardt 

Songs in the Desert is an audio Lenten devotional exploring Christian hymns. Every weekday in Lent, listen to a reflection from a different contributor on a hymn that they find meaningful.

Music heard in this episode is the hymn tune most often used for this hymn, "An Wasserflussen Babylon": piano by Andrew Remillard; organ by Albert Schweitzer

Hymn numbers elsewhere in the podcast refer to the Episcopal Hymnal 1982.

Subscribe to our podcast in Apple podcasts or use our feed.

For more, visit SongsInTheDesert.org.

Theme music is "Reflections" by Lee Rosevere, distributed under a Creative Commons license.

A Sinden Production of Anglican Media (SPAM)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog