Monday in the Fourth Week of Lent

"How shall I sing that majesty" from Abby Schoppe.


Download this episode (mp3).

Songs in the Desert is an audio Lenten devotional exploring Christian hymns. Every weekday in Lent, listen to a reflection from a different contributor on a hymn that they find meaningful.
How shall I sing that Majesty
Which angels do admire?
Let dust in dust and silence lie;
Sing, sing, ye heavenly choir.
Thousands of thousands stand around
Thy throne, O God most high;
Ten thousand times ten thousand sound
Thy praise; but who am I?

Thy brightness unto them appears,
Whilst I Thy footsteps trace;
A sound of God comes to my ears,
But they behold Thy face.
They sing because Thou art their Sun;
Lord, send a beam on me;
For where heaven is but once begun
There alleluias be.

Enlighten with faith’s light my heart,
Inflame it with love’s fire;
Then shall I sing and bear a part
With that celestial choir.
I shall, I fear, be dark and cold,
With all my fire and light;
Yet when Thou dost accept their gold,
Lord, treasure up my mite.

How great a being, Lord, is Thine,
Which doth all beings keep!
Thy knowledge is the only line
To sound so vast a deep.
Thou art a sea without a shore,
A sun without a sphere;
Thy time is now and evermore,
Thy place is everywhere.

-John Mason

Hymn numbers elsewhere in the project refer to the Episcopal Hymnal 1982.

Subscribe to our podcast in Apple podcasts or use our feed.

For more, visit SongsInTheDesert.org.

Theme music is "Reflections" by Lee Rosevere, distributed under a Creative Commons license.

A Sinden Production of Anglican Media (SPAM)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog